Dare to Tri Triathlon Clinic
September 23-25, 2016
presented by USA Triathlon
The University of Iowa Triathlon Club would like to invite you to join us for a fun filled weekend with professional triathlete and coach Alex Libin!
Friday, September 23:
Session 1: Strength Training For Triathletes presented by Alex Libin
- Time: 6 pm - 7 pm
- Location: Olympic Weightlifting Room, Field House, Iowa City, IA 52242
- Equipment: workout attire, water bottle
- Come and see what strength training for triathletes is all about and how to make the most of your time in the gym. Learn what to do in the cold winter months indoors to give yourself your best race season to date. Be prepared to tackle a short, but rigorous circuit to test your strength limiters. Leave with a knowledge of your weaknesses are and a plan to address them.
Session 2: Running Technique Lecture presented by Alex Libin
- Time: 7 pm - 8 pm
- Location: E201, Field House, Iowa City, IA 52242
- You've probably heard and read plenty of advice about proper run form. It's time to dispel the myths and focus on the key aspects that will get you from point A to point B faster and without injury! This lecture will feature a series of video analyses and break down running stride by stride.
Saturday, September 24:
Session 3: Cycling Skills and Drills presented by Alex Libin
- Time: 9 am - 11 am
- Location: Hawkeye Commuter Lot, Iowa City, IA 52246
- Equipment: bicycle and gear, water bottle
- Learn how to be a more confident bike rider. Become more comfortable riding in groups and on rough roads. Stop wasting energy from being tense and nervous on the bike. Learn basic skills, including; drafting, maneuvering in a group, navigating corners at high speed, riding with no hands, and eating on the bike. In addition, we'll cover more advanced techniques, such as; bunny hopping, pushing and shoving, picking up bottles from the ground and much more!
Sunday, September 25:
Session 4: Swimming Skills and Drills presented by Alex Libin
- Time: 10 am - 12 pm
- Location: Campus Recreation and Wellness Center, 309 S. Madison St, Iowa City, IA 52242
- Equipment: swimming attire, water bottle, hand paddles (if you have them)
- Become a more efficient swimmer. Improve your open water swim stroke. Using a series of drills, we'll provide you with the skills necessary to achieve a faster swim split at your next race and unleash your inner Katie Ledecky.
- You may register for the full clinic or each session individually. Here's a breakdown of fees:
- Full Clinic: $20 ($10 off the price of registering for all four individually!)
- Session 1: Strength Training for Triathletes - $5
- Session 2: Running Technique Lecture - $5
- Session 3: Cycling Skills and Drills - $10
- Session 4: Swimming Skills and Drills - $10
- To register, please bring cash or a check payable to the "University of Iowa Triathlon Club" to the clinic. You will also be asked to sign a safety waiver.
- Clinic admission is free to all current University of Iowa Triathlon members
UCI Cyclo-Cross World Cup:
In between clinic sessions, we'd highly recommend that you consider checking out some of the events just outside of town associated with the UCI Telenet Cyclo-Cross World Cup and Volkswagen Jingle Cross races. In addition to world-class cyclo-cross competition Saturday and Sunday afternoon, there are numerous other exciting opportunities for athletes and spectators alike!
Coach Alex graduated from the University of Iowa in 2012 with a B.S. in Human Physiology. As a student, he served as a leader of the Triathlon and Cycling clubs. Since graduation, he has worked with a wide variety of athletes, including 60 year old athletes qualifying for USA Triathlon (USAT) Nationals and Elite Junior athletes preparing for the World Championship. Alex has helped triathletes reach National and World Championship level competition, coached cyclists through the ranks of the peloton, and guided runners vying for a berth in the Boston Marathon. In addition to coaching, Alex is himself a professional triathlete. Alex draws heavily on his technical knowledge and unique experiences to help his athletes achieve their best.
- 1st place: 2015 Mighty Hamptons Triathlon (set a course record of 1:52)
- 11th place: 2014 PATCO Championships
- 5th place: USA Elite Championships in 2014
- 3rd place: Collegiate Nationals 2013